[Dailydrool] No pumpkin? and Drool for Duncan

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Aug 20 08:00:14 PDT 2010

If you cannot find pumpkin anywhere, try using butternut squash. It will
provide the fiber you need for the hounds and is basically interchangeable
with pumpkin in all sorts of recipes, so I don't think it will be a problem
for the hounds.

You can buy it fresh, cut it up in about quarters (smaller pieces if you
have a large squash) and clean out the seeds, put it in a microwaveable pan
with a half inch or so of water, and cook it on high until it's soft. Scoop
out the meat and mash it. Let it cool off before you feed it to the hounds,
of course.

If you can't be bothered with the fresh squash, you can buy it frozen, cook,
and mash it. Again, let it cool off.

I'd also like to ask for drool for  Duncan Thefairlyuselessc at t. After
getting his urinary tract unblocked, we thought he was good for a while. But
yesterday he went in the other direction and started peeing up a storm. We
took him to the vet today, and she took a couple of  tests. Until they come
back, she's not sure what's going on. We're hoping his kidneys are not in
trouble.

Though the hounds occasionally chase him, they were very concerned about him
when he returned. They couldn't wait until he exited his crate before they
began the usual sniffing. They may pretend they don't like him, but I'm sure
he has a place in their hearts--if only because he sometimes knocks treats
down into their paths.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets