[Dailydrool] Pumpkin & Milk Thistle

Jodi Whitaker jodimontine at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 08:44:49 PDT 2010

This is my first time posting here...hopefully I'll do it right! I live in
Lexington, KY and have three bassets - two rescues (Bo and Otis) and a
spoiled rotten little girl named Daisy (who I got from a breeder). I wish I
had subscribed earlier...lots of good info here!

Hopefully this info will be of help to someone.

As for pumpkin...if you have one in your area, you might check a locally
owned pet nutrition store. I work at one in Lexington (Bluegrass Barkery),
and we have two kinds of pumpkin in stock - one by Fruitables and one by
Nummy Tum-Tum. Fruitables is formulated for dogs and cats, and has cinnamon
and some vitamins added. Nummy Tum-Tum is pure pumpkin that is marketed for
dogs. Sweet potato will also work just like pumpkin, and can be found canned
too (Nummy Tum-Tum does it too.)

I give my dogs milk thistle after each heartworm and flea/tick preventative
treatment. It is a great liver detox, and this way I know that I'm detoxing
any chemicals from their livers. Again, if you have a local pet nutrition
store (or possibly a health food store), a company called Animals
Apawthecary carries it in a liquid form with an eye dropper. There are
instructions on it for how to administer to dogs. I looked at human
varieties but wasn't sure about dosage. This runs around $12 and is totally
worth it.

One other thing that I use for runny eyes is local honey. Just like in
people, if you feed dogs honey that is produced with a 20 or so mile radius
of where you live, they will build up a tolerance of the local pollens. I
give it to mine year-round. They love it, and it helps a lot especially in
the summer. My bassets are each around 65 pounds, and they get a teaspoon
per day. And, you have the added bonus of helping local farmers!

Hope this info helps!

Jodi