[Dailydrool] itchies

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Sun Aug 22 09:56:08 PDT 2010

OMD The itchies have been horrible this year!  Is there something in the air this year that
was not present last year?   Poor Sadee Maye was going crazy and nothing was helping.
The Benadryl (75mg), the creams, the powders, her t shirt, the herbals, nothing was keeping
her from trying to chew or scratch her skin off.  I even took her back up to 3x her dose of
Salmon oil so in the end off to Doc she went.  The decision was to put her on Claritin daily.
I won't say that she is completely cured but she is 95% better now with only the ocassional
scratching.  Our other option was a low dose of prednisone.  While I know there are times
prednisone is a much needed drug, I really try to avoid it's use as I know the side effects.

So between a simplified diet change and claritin, Sadee Maye is a much happier girl now.
Of course I also have to wonder if the stress in the house the past 6 weeks also added to her
itching?

We send No Itchy, No Scratchy Drool to all those suffering this summer.
Karen and The Dog House Gang