[Dailydrool] Itching Bassets

Frans Breytenbach soilkraft at mylan.co.za
Mon Aug 23 04:30:32 PDT 2010

Hi All

Seems to me bassets all over the world are the same. We live in South Africa very close to a nature conservation area, so the country side is a bit wild. We have two bassets, Sally and Klara. Sally is very much subject to itching. I can confirm that we obtained the best results for controlling it by giving her a daily Claretine tablet (much the same as you have in the USA. The second prize, but with drawbacks, is prednisone.

Sally likes her daily swim and sniffle in the bush. We try to keep both of them clean by regular bathing, and apply an anti tick and flea remedy that is aborbed through the skin regularly. This also appears to help for mites. We found that putting her on a controlled diet to stop the itching, resulted in an obese basset that can't really chase rabbits for fun !

Keep well

Mariette & Frans Breytenbach