[Dailydrool] Itchy Hounds

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Mon Aug 23 11:27:50 PDT 2010

I recently emailed Frank the Tank's breeder, asking about soft e-collars. Frank was chewing on the top of one of his front paws to the point it was sore and red, so we were looking for some help that 6 Benadryl's a day weren't providing. She said it sounded like Frank had inhaled allergies, and she suggested we try chlorpheniramine Maleate (4 mg) twice a day. One of her current itchy hounds takes it 3 times a day, and it can be given up to 4 times a day. Chlorpheniramine Maleate comes as the brand name ChlorTrimeton, or lots of generics. I bought the CVS store brand pack of 20 tabs to try it, gave it to Frank twice a day with his meals, and it made a huge difference after just a few days! He got them for a week, and then he didn't bother his foot anymore, so we stopped.

We've had an enormous number of mosquitoes this year (central Virginia), so whatever weather conditions brought that all on must also be contributing to whatever Frank is sensitive to. What a pain!

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina the Sock-and-Underwear-Stealer