[Dailydrool] itchy hounds

Cary Riker caryriker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:55:20 PDT 2010

I read that some of you are have troubles with itchy hounds.  My Macy girl
has had terrible trouble with itchiness since the Spring, and it has
continued all Summer.  She has been on and off of hydroxyzine all Summer,
which seems to bring her some relief, but as soon as we stop giving it to
her, she's right back at herself, chewing away.  She chewed a spot on her
tail really badly--fortunately that's gone now.  But she is still
suffering.  I have wracked by brains trying to think of new things in her
surroundings that were introduced in the Spring, but I can't think of
anything.  This is our second Summer with Macy, and she did not have this
problem last year.  We live in Portland, OR.  Is there anyone else out there
near Portland who is also suffering this season?  Anyone else have
experience with hydroxyzine versus other antihistamines?

As much as she hates water, Aveno baths are soothing to her skin, so I'd
recommend them to others seeking Itch relief. Also, I bathe her weekly with
Earth Bath's Aloe and Tea Tree shampoo, which leaves her coat and skin
looking really nice.

So sorry to read about all the hounds who have moved on lately.  Macy and
family wish them good travels.

Cary