[Dailydrool] A Tale of Two Kitties

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 18:31:03 PDT 2010

Thanks to everyone who sent messages about Bud....I will get responses out soon. I'm sorry I haven't yet. It's still hard to accept that he isn't here with me.

We are adjusting to life here in the heat. This evening my kitty, Cherry, was up in the bookcase, and my parents' kitty, Lucky, was on top of the fridge. The boyz got a little excited. They were distracted during dinner, then remembered and kept going back and forth between the two. I got them to lay down and we practiced being calm and "no kitties" for a while. They did pretty well, then I took them on outside to remove the stimulus. We are all learning to co-exist.

I have been having trouble getting Kahuna and Zuma to drink enough. They just don't seem to drink much and were starting to get dehydrated. Today I made "soup" for them with lots of cold water, a scoop of canned food and a little rice cereal swirled in. They have each had two bowls full today and are starting to pee more regularly, so this seems to be working.

We have been visiting a dog park early in the morning, and after dark in the evening. They aren't playing much, but do enjoy sniffing the grass and socializing. Last night there were 2 other Bassets and 2 Beagles - it was hound night! There was also a Newfie there. The boyz ran over to greet the Newfie (Moose) and when they realized it wasn't Ace, Zuma followed him around, barking at the impostor. I felt bad that they were so disappointed it wasn't Ace. I miss him too and wish he was here with us. He wouldn't fit in the casita though (guest room). He would take up all the available floor space and it is awfully hot for him. We are all adjusting to the new life.

Thanks again for all the wonderful notes and messages. I will get back to all of you.

Drool to all those who are sick or have left for the bridge.....we think of you as we read the posts.

Synthia, Zuma, Kahuna