[Dailydrool] itching hounds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Mon Aug 23 20:06:39 PDT 2010

The boys are sending healing drool to Yoshi.  We hope that your blood count is back up and that you recover from your allergic reaction to the vaccination very soon.

Healing Drool to Droopy. (My first basset was named Droopy) The boys and I hope that you recover soon from the vestibular syndrome/stroke.

Colt & Ruger are having a bad time with the summer time itchies too. (had the same thing last year) I am having to keep them in the house the majority of the time. They go out to pee and do a quick parimeter check and then back into the house and quickly wiped down with a cool damp wash cloth.  Especially their undersides. Colt is on Tamil-P, and Ruger's itching is being controlled with Benadryl. Downside is Colt is pretty spaced out, and sleeps the majority of the time, but at least he is not itching.  The antihistimines don't seem to affect Ruger that way but do control the itching.  I also have some Derma-Soothe spray if they still itch to spray on their skin and this helps too. If they scratch and break the skin, or just get the skin red & irritated I haul them off to U-Scrub a pup for a Chlorahexedine shampoo and then spray them with Chlorahexidine spray 3-4 times a day to help heal up wounds.  It has been a lot of work to keep them from itching and their skin healed up...but of course they are worth it.  I love my boys and can't stand to see them uncomfortable.  And as a suggestion from another drooler next year I plan to start wipe down, and antihistimines around the same time as they started to itch and hopefully manage it a little better...it is already marked on the calendar to remind me.

No more itchy skin drool to all the hounds.
Michele Momma to the Itchy Basset boys
Colt "ZZZZzzzzz"
Ruger "Why can't I just stay outside?, there are squirrels to catch you know?"