[Dailydrool] Itchies - please read!!

Jodi Whitaker jodimontine at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 08:39:40 PDT 2010

Soooo sad to hear about all the poor bassets with itchies!!! Bless all their little hearts.

After working at a local pet nutrition store for the past year and a half, I cannot stress enough how big of a role the food and treats you’re feeding play in their overall health – especially in itching!

Licking paws is a classic sign of a food allergy. In every instance I have seen of a dog licking paws, if the owner has
gone to a grain-free food, the problem has been taken care of. It really is that simple!

Look at the food you are feeding. If it lists corn or wheat as an ingredient, that could very likely be the reason your basset is itching. Many, many dogs are sensitive to these ingredients. But I’ve learned over the past couple of years that basset hounds are particularly sensitive to a number of ingredients found in pet foods.

My 6-year-old basset, Bo, had chronic ear infections for the first year and a half that I got him (he is a rescue; I got him at 6 months). Every other month, we were at the vet because his ears were infected. My vet – who I love dearly – was only able to conclude that he had these problems because he is a basset. He told me I needed to clean Bo’s ears more often.

Then I went to the store where I now work, and I had a conversation with one of the owners about ingredients in pet foods. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, so I put Bo on a grain-free food.

We haven’t had an ear infection since!!

It really is amazing. Bo’s ears hardly even get dirty any more. My vet is blown away at what a difference a grain-free diet has made in Bo’s chronic ear problems.

Bo does get a few treats with grain in them, but he gets absolutely NO wheat or corn whatsoever. The change in his health and behavior has been amazing.

As I mentioned before, I also keep my dogs on local honey year-round. They get a teaspoon in their food every night. This helps them build up a tolerance of the local pollens (so long as you get a honey made within a 20 mile radius or so of where you live). They love it, and it helps with runny eyes and other seasonal allergy issues.

There are lots of good grain-free (or just wheat and corn-free) dog foods out there that you can try. And they aren’t necessarily more expensive – especially when you take into consideration the vet bills and allergy medicines you’re paying for.

Feel free to email me directly if you want some name brands.

Hope this helps someone!

Jodi, Daisy, Bo & Otis

Sent from my iPhone