[Dailydrool] new Bassado puppy

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 12:28:30 PDT 2010

Congratulations Dave and Sue,

Welcome home Andi!   You are going to have a wonderful life with your new family.  To me the first thing on the list is getting some sleep with a new buppy (or foster in my case).  The best things I have found is a hot water bottle wrapped in one of your T-shirts and lavender, lavender and lavender!  Tula (my now adopted foster) did not let me sleep for the first 3 nights unless I was touching her.  I was given the suggestions for both and ran to the store immediately.  (I was desperate!)  I used a lavender plug in by her sleeping area, sprayed the room with lavender and put sprigs inside her bed.  I slept, she slept and the gang slept.

As far as potty training you have a great start with Andi following your two out.   I personally think it is easier when there is at least one adult in the house.  Then again I also think the dog door was the next best invention.  When I potty trained my buppies and fosters we were outside every hour during the day for the first few weeks.  (before and after meals, after play time, before and after play time, etc).  Patience and more patience is the key and sometimes a lot of the happy spirits (alcohol...LOL)  I was always calm about potty time and if there was an accident I never yelled.  Even if I caught them in mid squat I would just calmly tell them "outside, potty".

I currently have a pack of 5 with 3 kitties.  There are a few drawbacks like more poop, food, vet bills but the love they give is so worth it.  You also learn to use every available body part when rubbing or petting.

Give your gang a snooter from us.
Karen and The Dog House Gang