[Dailydrool] Clarification

Dana Allen dguinn_00 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 08:41:42 PST 2010

Even though my mind tells me let it go, my heart needs to clarify.  As an extended family, we have had many basset hounds up until our last one passed about 22 years ago.  After losing Bridget we all decided no more hounds.  Two years ago I had an opportunity to rescue Tuffy, she was 7 months old and had been in four homes already, we were thrilled to get her.  We had her spayed and she is loved and well taken care of - we then decided to purchase a male with the intent of purchasing a female at a later date.  Here enters Gus Gus, who as I said has made tremendous progress with his toy issues, actually at this point they really are a non issue, but he is still growing and learning.  In September a friend was cleaning an abandoned rent property when he discovered a male and female basset lying in the back yard, abandoned.  His brother took the male, he the female until she was in better shape, we were thrilled to get her in late October.

Like I said, we had planned to breed, but I apologize for upsetting you.  My husband and I work full time, I work a second part time job and attend school finishing my master's degree.  I didn't see the usual signs, and I do know what they are, of her being in season.  But I am prepared for puppies, the semester ends next week and I'm taking the spring off to be home and letting my part time job go.  And yes, my family cannot wait to have basset puppies again.  Each of my extended family members are experienced basset owners and responsible pet owners, my dogs will be well cared for and loved.

Thanks for those who gave advice, you don't know how much it means, I've printed the emails and will be contacting you as we go along I'm sure.

Dana
Mom to Gus Gus, Tuffy and Peach (oh and Fifi the chihuahua rescue who hates the basset hounds!)