[Dailydrool] Stanley is 12

Bonnie Garner parrothead at ripleycable.net
Fri Dec 3 06:52:07 PST 2010

Twelve years ago today a red and white baby boy was born with a heart shape on his head.   Even though he was a classified in the paper, he came from a wonderful family who were responsible breeders.  I called just to do some checking, knowing I could not afford him.  The DH came home during the call.  Oh, no.  I told him I was only checking and getting info for a time when things were better and I could maybe think about adding a houndie.  He was able to sneak the number and paper away, made some calls, and the boy with the heart on his head became my Valentine's present that year.  He has always been a daddy's boy because they bonded so much that first day waiting on me to get home.  The heart on his head has faded, but his heart inside has grown each year.

    At 12, Stanley has slowed down quite a bit.  He stumbles a lot on our walk.  He has senior moments where he forgets where he is.  His hair is graying more and more each year.  His joints hurt more.  He barks at nothing (or so it seems).  But there are times when he will pick up a toy and play like he was a puppy again, running and chasing the others, then getting mad when someone gets a little rough.  He sleeps under the cover right next to me every night, though now I have to help him in the bed.

    Stanley will have a special cake and ice cream tonight, along with lots of love and treats and time with his mama today.  I know 12 is not a  young basset anymore, but I am blessed with each day I get to wake up next to The Man Stan.

Bonnie
Slave to Stanley, Beachbaby, Lowretta, Lillie Pearl, Bode, Stella (ATB), J.D. (ATB), Begonia (ATB)