[Dailydrool] new dog

bonnie bowman chelseaxmolli at tx.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 13:43:06 PST 2010

I am new to this list because I am a recent recipient of a basset/beagle mix.  She is a year old.  She weighed 33 pounds at the vet yesterday.  I have three other dogs - all of the guess-what-kind variety and all probably have some kind of terrier in them.  Long and low is new to me.  I got this dog from my sister who bought this dog as a puppy from a breeder, so in this case we think we know what kind of dog I now have.

Just curious.  My sister thought she was buying a basset hound, but later learned that the person she bought it from breeds this particular mix.  (Probably my sister's confusion and not a misrepresentation by the breeder in this case because she was able to meet the parents of the dog.)  Another  basset owner who met the dog (and knew the breeder) told my sister this dog doesn't look like a full-blood basset and they can "see" the beagle.  The dog has the long eyes, the long nose, the long ears, the long back, the "twisted" leg joints.  (sorry - I don't know what to call the style of her front legs!)  Just wondering if what they are seeing is just size?  Curious what this particular mix offers that a pure bred basset doesn't.

The dog is very active and full of surprises!    I've had her 3 days now, so we are getting acquainted. She apparently can jump quite well, I found her counter-surfing a card table that has no benches or stools or chairs around it.   She loves water!  Walking by a river, I thought she was just pulling for a drink.  She did take a short drink and then went in for a swim!  So....  as you are sharing on the list, I will be interested in learning what I should expect and welcome any advice that is specific for bassets or the basset/beagle mix.

And one more curiousity.  My sister told me she chose a basset hound because the are good (with?, around,...?) pit bull type dogs and there are a lot of those in her neighborhood.    Anyone else know this or heard this before?

I'm looking forward to getting to know this dog better and learning from all of you!

Bonnie Bowman
Texas