[Dailydrool] anal gland (ick!)

Pam Cline pmcline at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 15:48:30 PST 2010

Last week Ginny came inside from her first poo of the morning with a bloody rear
end.  Did we panic?  You'd better believe it!.  Luckily our vet opened up in 2
hours so we cleaned her up,  babied her, prayed  and waited...trying our best to
not cry.  Our first thought was that she had scarfed up some poison somewhere
the night before. She's a pro at finding "stuff" to munch during her walks (no
matter how closely we watch her) and we have some new neighbors who we don't
really know. Had someone thrown out rat poison or something?  Our dogs are never
off-leash and alone (except for an occasional escape) so we really got scared.
She had a little diarrhea the day before and we'd started her on slippery elm
but other than that we were at a loss...I thought maybe she had a bleeding
hemorrhoid, if dogs even do that. It was the least ominous sounding ailment I
could imagine.

The vet looked at her and quickly said that her anal gland had ruptured. He said
the worst of it was over and he gave her a high dose antibiotic shot and
antibiotic  pills for the week and sent her home. Ginny had never shown any anal
gland symptoms -she's never scooted or acted uncomfortable so it was a total
surprise for us.  Beaudreux yes, he has frequent problems but has never
ruptured.

She started looking better and then last evening the other side ruptured!  She's
doesn't seem to be in pain  but we are concerned.  Should she be on more
antibiotics or for a longer period since it has happened again or would that be
more unhealthy for her? Is there something else we need to do for her? She took
her last dose of meds this morning.

Any advice will be appreciated.  I look forward to hearing how others may have
handled this problem in the past.  Thank you all so much!

Pam
along with Olive, Ginny and HBeaudreux all  from NC