[Dailydrool] Dog food yet again? skin allergies

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Mon Dec 6 23:21:06 PST 2010

Advice needed & welcome, please!  I know this subject has been done to
death, but here goes anyway, since Maestro has his first EVER allergy
outbreak since I've had him.  A food (chicken & rice, no biproducts) he has
been on before just fine may not be working for us now.  Of course, it may
be inhalant, but this would be a weird time of year for that around here.
We have seen the vet man & have a shampoo arsenal, but I want to go ahead &
kibble experiment.

Is anyone still feeding California Natural or Healthwise?   We used to but
switched when they were bought out by P & G.  I was bummed about that big
time. I'd love opinions on it currently.  I'm also eyeing Natural Balance
again, maybe the venison & sweet potato. My Bentley Basset did very well on
Venison & Rice from early Nature's Recipe (pre-Heinz).

Criteria:  needs to be fairly easy to find, reasonably affordable, small
kibble size would be nice.  I don't necessarily need grain-free since some
of those are too high protein for us.  To make my life easy, the Cavaliers
will probably get to switch too, thus the small kibble preference.  A short
ingredient list would be great, thus knocking out Orygen & such.

I have fed  & like Dog Lover's Gold but it can be hard to find, ditto Simply
Natural; we've also done  Precise, Pinnacle, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the
Dog Lover's Soul, asst. Natura products pre-buy-out, Canine Caviar, Canidae,
Taste of the Wild, First Mate, & a bunch of others that I can hardly
remember now.   I like to have 2 or 3 stand-bys to rotate.

Given a choice, he would live on cheese & crackers.  I'd like to find
something a bit more practical!   Help?

Kathleen & Maestro
(w/Henry Wadsworth & Bentley Basset ATB)