[Dailydrool] Latest developments in our Rattailaban ratness relocation program

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 13:41:15 PST 2010

Our Rattailaban ratness relocation program continues to go well. To date, we
have relocated six operatives: 4 brown rats and 2 gray mice. (At least in
Hawaii, you can tell the difference by their ears--rats here have smallish laid
back ears. Mice have stand-up, round Mickey Mouse ears. Both species grow to
impressive sizes). Each night we set our have-a-heart trap just inside the
doggie door. My DH relocates the captives to an open field outside of town when
he gets up in the middle of the night anyway. All has been going smoothly. Why
am I writing?

To let the troops of the PBF know that their commander, Bo, has finally
abandoned his shyness about command and decided to emulate the Theodore
Roosevelt character in "Arsenic and Old Lace". (The one who periodically came
out of his room to blow a bugle and yell "charge!") Bo has decided to announce
the capture of each new prisoner and rally the troops living in our house (all
of whom are asleep at night except for Bo, who apparently stands watch). Rats
are nocturnal. They usually enter our home under cover of darkness (1 or 2 AM?).
When this happens, Bo stands in the middle of the livingroom and starts
baying/bellowing until everyone in our household (and probably the whole
neighborhood) leaps out of bed (sometimes still in a horizontal position)  and
runs to the front lines. We are hoping we will exhaust the enemy forces soon
(before we are all forcibly evicted from our position). Semper fido. Val