[Dailydrool] Grandpa ATB

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 27 09:54:59 PST 2010

He came to rescue back in June and was kenneled until October, when a foster home finally became open and feasible (he was across the state from me.)  He stayed a few weeks in Louisville before coming to me for transport to the foster home in Illinois.  When he got here, something was amiss, so I took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma--about the size of a baseball.  As the foster mom to-be was losing one of her own to cancer at the same time, I opted to keep Grandpa (he was estimated to be 12) here with me.  He was a big squishy boy who never ever missed a meal, and when we were eating our own dinner, he stood and barked at the oven (roasting turkey!!) or the counter top (pizza!!!)  Thursday he didn't get up for dinner (he slept most of the day as a regular thing but...), so on Christmas Eve morning, I drove him to the vet.  His tumor had tripled to about the size of a cantaloupe and was pushing his organs up and making it
 hard for him to breathe.  I had no choice but to grant him the one Christmas gift he wanted--a painfree end to his life.

Grandpa
?? 1998 - 24 Dec 2010
Rest in Peace, my sweet Big Guy

Susan and the Hoptown Bassets + 2
Murphy, Jeremiah and Sweenie, + Grandma and Emily
http://www.bluegrassbassetrescue.org