[Dailydrool] Diatomaceous Earth

Michael Moore divlog at msn.com
Tue Dec 7 17:57:13 PST 2010

I have used diatomaceous Earth for 25+ years in my half acre garden and Basset Realm.  I have never sprayed or used any chemical insecticides.  I sprinkle it along the perimeter of my home and outbuildings.  No ants.  No nematodes.  No slugs.  No snails.  No termites.  No Isopterans.  No earwigs.  No thrips.  Very few ‘pests’, except Bassets which are tough on my other hobby.  According to Wikipedia, “Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite.”  It is not a clay per se.  I think it works great in the garden.  The remains of the diatoms are like little razor blades and shred the exoskeletons of insects.  My dogs have eaten lots of it, especially as buppies, with all of the concurrent issues of eating dirt and grass and other stuff.  I do not have fleas or ticks.  I do use Frontline as well.   Muldoon’s Dadperson.