[Dailydrool] Trimming nails

Michael Meckler meckler.12 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 24 04:15:45 PST 2010

Just to add to what others have said about the Dremel....I put my boy
on a grooming table and do nails as part of a weekly regimen
(including cleaning ears, brushing teeth and brushing the coat). He's
a big boy, and he fidgets while I do nails, making it a bit of a
chore, but with the Dremel I don't have to worry about cutting into
the quick or causing him any pain. If I get too close on a nail, he
gives out a little yip and I stop right away. The worst case scenario
is a single droplet of blood.

Because of the fidgeting, I've found the easiest Dremel to use is the
cordless MiniMite, which you can generally find online for around
$30. With no power cord to get caught up as my boy twists and turns
and fidgets, I get the job done faster. The MiniMite has two speeds.
I use the higher speed. For the sanding bands, I use standard 120-
grit, which you can find at any home-improvement or hardware store
(and they only cost a couple of bucks for a container of 6). I pretty
much do nails every week, and with one dog, a sanding band lasts me a
little more than a month.

Finally, I want to mention the rechargeable battery pack. My boy's
nails are thick and grow quickly. I can get through his nails on a
single charge, but if I had multiple dogs, I would get multiple
batteries and charge them up so that I could pop a fresh one in once
the first one begins to lose juice. Another point about the batteries
is that they start to lose their ability to hold a charge after about
a year-and-a-half or so, so I've purchased replacement batteries,
which you can find online for around $15.