[Dailydrool] Cushing's

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 10:13:59 PST 2010

Hi Judi
I don't know if this was addressed yet as again I am catching up :)

A standard CBC/ Chemistry covers blood cell counts and common enzyme levels that can indicate imbalances in the body.  If a dog is PU/PD (increase urination and increased drinking) and there is no evidence of diabetes, one of the other possibilities is Cushing's (but not the only other possibility).  On a standard CBC/ Chemistry elevations in liver enzymes may indicate Cushing's but the only way to diagnose it is an ACTH stimulation test or a Low Dose Dexamethasone test.  Cushing's is a disorder of the endocrine system an can be a problem with a part of the brain that controls this or one of the endocrine glands - the adrenal glands.  These are small glands that sit close to the kidneys.  The adrenal glands control the level of hormones and steroids in the body.  When they produce too much steroid they cause the animal to increase in thirst and they drink more and then pee more.  The overload of steroid in the system causes the liver enlarge to process
 all excess steroid in the blood.

A ultrasound can determine if the adrenal glands are of abnormal size due to over stimulation by the part of the brain or if there is a mass on the adrenal gland that is causing it to produce more steroid.

My Lab mix had Cushing's but by blood work along - Low Dose Dexamethsone test - it took 5 years to diagnose.

Hope this helped :)

Laura
Flash
and Ryu