[Dailydrool] Senior Dental

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Mon Feb 1 07:16:43 PST 2010

At 22:47 1/31/2010, Cheryl Medlin wrote:

>I was rightly concerned about the risks of cleaning for my senior
>Basset. When he had to be put down in August, the sedation shot
>collapsed his veins and it was  a bad experience. They had a hard
>time getting the shot into a vein to euthanize him. Bad circumstanes
>made worse. My point; I wouldn't risk it for a cleaning.I think a
>cleaning would have been the end of my baby.

My Maggie Lou was slow to get over the effects of the
anesthesia.  Two months later she was dead from liver cancer six
weeks shy of thirteen years.

This certainly did not hasten her end, but it was the first
sign.  The next sign several weeks later was she was finicky about
eating her food, certainly a danger sign in the bassets I have known.

That raises a question:  My daughter leaves kibble down for my
grandpups and they eat when they are ready.  When the basset brigade
is in town, we have to put the food up as they will eat what is
available.  Does anyone have a basset that eats only when it is
hungry and you leave food down?  Mine take what is down and then lick
the other's bowl.

Tommy in Baton Rouge