[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Feb 1 12:05:03 PST 2010

On Saturday night our Elsinore started shaking her head and ears over
and over and over. I took a look in her ears, and the left one was
red, angry, and inflamed. I cleaned them both out and called the vet
first thing this morning. Wouldn't you know, the room they put us in
was the same room we were in one week ago today when we went with my
mother to have her little terrier, Daisy, euthanized. Oh, dear.
Elsinore seemed antsier while we were waiting in there than she
usually does when she's at the vet, so I found myself reassuring her
that the vet was only going to look at her ears and not conduct an
exit interview with her, promise. She grew more relaxed as it became
clear that he was indeed interested only in her ears and not in the
veins on her legs. She has a yeast infection in her left ear, and
we'll get to wrestle with her every night for a week to get meds in it.

As I write this, young Charlie is wandering the house looking for
something to do. He's already pulled Ken's blanket off the sofa,
wadded it up on the floor, and brought a bone over to this warm nest
to chew on until he was discovered. He's also pulled a sweater off
the stairs to the second floor and dragged it down the hall. And gone
looking for loose toilet paper rolls in the doorless linen closet in
the bathroom. I've just heard him casing the metal wastebasket in
there (his tags gave that away) and have had to shut the bathroom
door altogether. There's nothing more dangerous than a bored basset.
Maybe I should send him over to my mother's to find something to do?
I'm sure she has wastebaskets that haven't been gone through in ages.

Elizabeth