[Dailydrool] Update on Bo

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 14:00:00 PST 2010

We've just come back from Bo's surgical recheck. The news is "so far so good". He will go back next week to have staples removed (he's got about two dozen); then if things continue to go well, he will go back in two more weeks to have surgery on the left side. We are optimistic and hopeful that the "so far so good" is not the punchline to the old joke: "What did the man who had jumped off his apartment building roof say as he passed the twentieth floor?"

On a satisfying note: About three years ago we applied to VPI Pet Insurance for all three of our animals: Bo, Harley, and Lynx the cat (ATB). VPI turned down two of the animals. Lynx the cat was too old (9 years); Harley the basset had been noted by one vet to have exceptionally large balls (VPI said to reapply after he was neutered). Bo the basset was accepted. Lynx died a year later, relatively suddenly without much medical intervention. Harley the basset has been healthy as a horse and has needed nothing but routine care. No premiums from those two. Bo's medical bills have been astronomical in the past year--$3000 for just this most recent round of interventions and he still has more surgery to come. And Bo is the one that has health insurance--whoopeee--80%+ covered each time. Insurance companies don't always guess correctly. I think our animals are an ad for universal health insurance.