[Dailydrool] Rehoming puppy mill dogs

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 07:52:39 PST 2010

I can only speak from my limited experience with Fred and Annie, rescued from a puppy mill by OMBR and then adopted, through Mid-ABHR, by me in New Jersey.  I was only supposed to adopt Annie, but ended up with a 2-for-1 deal when Fred came as a last minute "foster" and was adopted less than 24 hours later :)  I am so thankful for the way things worked out, because I think Annie's adjustment would have been MUCH more difficult (and it was pretty hard anyway) if Fred hadn't been here.  They definitely both took comfort in each other, but Annie really looked to Fred for reassurance.  She wouldn't do anything unless he did it first, or with her.  To this day, if she's the first in the kitchen for a walk, she'll turn back to see if he's behind her.  He's usually still lounging on the couch, taking his sweet time.  I ask her, "Where's your brother?" and she goes and gets him, and circles back to him until she's sure he's coming with us.  Fred does not like being separated from Annie, but for Annie, it's more that she NEEDS to be with Fred.  I am convinced that everything worked out the way it needed to, and that Fred was meant to be part of this family, to bridge the huge gap that existed between me and Annie, and to continue to bridge the little one that I think will always be there.  I also work full-time, and it is so comforting to me to know that they are together.  I don't even like when I have to take just one of them to the vet...they both get very upset.

I do think, though, that every adoption should be considered on a case-by-case basis.  I was certainly not the ideal adopter on paper...I live in a townhouse with no yard, I'd never had a basset before, I work full-time.  However, my house is quiet, I was patient, and I love these dogs more than anyone else could!

Rose, Annie (I love mommy, and I really love Freddie!) and Fred (they can't imagine life without me!)