[Dailydrool] Rehoming Puppy Mill Breeders

rescue at wabr.net rescue at wabr.net
Tue Feb 2 14:43:57 PST 2010

In the 17 puppy mill breeders I took a year and a half ago, each one had different needs.  Some went to homes with a secure male basset, and they did follow their leads. But it was the personality of the male basset.  It only worked if he was secure and loved by his family.  Others needed a home with someone with the time to hold, comfort, and spend a lot of time petting/talking to them - they needed to develop trust of a human. Of these most took over a year before they would accept the other person in the house.  One came back; she loved the husband and wife, and other male basset, but was terrified of their loving teenagers no matter how gentle they were.  Yes, placing puppy mill breeders has challenges.  They are not house trained, having never been in a house normal house noises terrify them, some will not eat if you are watching, and having never been in a house, so to most even being in a house are scary.  Most want to chew up anything and everything.  Most are afraid of men, boots, anyone not sitting on the floor.  For rescue groups taking them, there is no only the cost of S/N, but many times mastitis, hernias, normally all require dentals.  I had one with a broken hip that was never set properly and one with a piece of wood imbedded from her mouth thru her nasal cavity.  Just like normal adoptions, you have to match the basset with the people.  But the people you place them with have to totally understand, these breeders' needs, and fears.  These breeders are not for the people who "just" want a basset.  I cannot express my extreme respect for those kind, loving, gentle people that have the time and truly open their hearts to take the puppy mill breeders - they are Extremely Special People.

Pat

Washington Basset Rescue