[Dailydrool] newbie recs

Sharon Novy sharonnovy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:30:34 PST 2010

Jerry,

I would like to throw in my 2 cents but I must first tell you where I come from.  I have had my own basset Bogart for over 12 years, having adopted him as a rescue when he was 8 months old.  I volunteer and have recently fostered for Arizona Basset Rescue.  I have 2 boys of my own (two leggers that is) and am also a pediatrician.

Like any breed, bassets all have a unique personality.  I would definitely recommend a rescue as having been in foster care, you know a ton about the dog before you ever commit.  My previous two fosters were fine with cats whereas my Bogart hates them.  My last foster I had for only 3 months and I was able to talk to his new family for a long time about what I had learned about his likes, dislikes, behaviors, etc.   Puppies are lots of work much like a baby.  Lots of adoptable rescues are already housetrained.  Bassets learn the doggie door quickly.   As for how they are when left alone, that varies depending on the dog.  Some are anxious and howl and most are fine.  Again, from a rescue, this is a trait you would know about.  My Bogart sleeps curled up on the couch while I am at work.  Counter surfing means they tend to be food obsessed and very talented at stealing food.  My Bogart has trained me well and we secure all food and don't leave anything out and we have no issues.  When babysitters come, they are duely warned that any food left within reach will be eaten and they usually head the warning or are reminded quickly when they forget.  Bassets may have short legs but long bodies and can reach pretty well to places you might not expect.  It is some of the comic behavior of the breed.  Ear maintenance is easy- don't worry.  No different than an occasional nail trim.  I also have a 2 story and my basset navigates the stairs just fine to come up and sleep in bed with me.  My fosters have all done fine with stairs too.  Bassets are people dogs and want to be with you.  They will follow you anywhere.  They do tend to have more energy when they are younger but again, that is individual.  I have a labrador also who was 2 when we adopted him and he has always been very low energy and mellow. Go figure.

Good luck with your search!  Go with your heart.  Search the websites of the rescues near you and look at the listings of adoptable dogs.  I love adopting rescues that have been previously fostered as you really can find the perfect match for your family and remove alot of the unknown factor- plus you are giving a great dog a loving home they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Sharon Novy
sharonnovy at gmail.com