[Dailydrool] Stupid "Experts" again...

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Feb 2 12:25:01 PST 2010

So I picked up this magazine in Ann Arbor, called Natural Awakenings, and it has an article about Canine Humor. February 2010 issue, page 34.  In it they quote two animal behaviorists from UC-Davis, Dr. Benjamin Hart, veterinarian, and Lynette Hart, zoologist.  They had a "group of experts rank 56 different breeds of dogs in terms of playfulness. By playfulness, they mean things like a willingness to chase balls or Frisbees and to engage in games like hide-and-seek." Of course, Basset hounds ranked at the bottom, along with Samoyed, Rotties, Malamute, St. Bernard, Pekingese, Chihuahua, Chow Chow, Bulldog, and Bloodhound.  In the below average category are listed Pomeranians, Husky, Great Dane, English sheepdog, and Keeshond among others.
First I almost snorted my root beer out of my nose laughing at the stupidity of it all, then I started to become indignant.  My stars, just because a dog will chase a ball or Frisbee doesn't mean he enjoys the game, but that he enjoys pleasing his master!  They must never have seen either a Pomeranian or a Basset around a load of dirty laundry!  Both breeds LOVE to steal socks or bras or panties and run away with you trailing behind them! They must have never seen a basset during the Basset 500, or watched them play a game of tag in the back yard.  Idiots!  My two (yes, DH brought home another one!) Pomahuahuas Samson and Ivy play keep away and tag and wrestle and steal stuff until I separate them.  They don't have off buttons!  My bassets are not obsessed with retrieving or pleasing me, but they play like idiots.  Bassets are just too smart to retrieve.  If you throw it, you must not value it much, therefore I (the basset) don't see the need to go get it for you.  Nothing much in it for me...
So, once again our beloved crazy silly hounds are being underestimated by some "Experts" who must all have labs or goldens, and equate the stupid need to please with playfulness.  Ok, so a manic dog who needs work to do might appear to be more playful than a non-manic breed, but give me a break! LOL

Gaylene Opal-Deitering: Now mom to a complete 8 pack.  I need a beer!
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!