[Dailydrool] Newbie questions: THANKS!

Jerry White jerrywhite518 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:16:36 PST 2010

I am overwhelmed at the number and quality of the replies I got. You
folks obviously love your dogs very much. I also appreciate the
honesty. If I could summarize it would go like this:

Pups are energetic and a lot of work, pretty much like a pup of any
breed. Bassets are independent thinkers, which makes them not a good
dog for someone expecting great obedience or a desire to please the
human. They will train their humans to keep food out of reach. No two
dogs are alike. Most are fine with stairs, some not. Some ignore the
house cats, some like to chase them. Some are big talkers, some not.
Most of them sling a lot of drool and smell houndy (which is not
necessarily a bad smell.) It's tough to keep a neat house with a
basset living in it. Most do better with more than one basset in the
house. They love their human pack, and are very funny and
entertaining. Once you've loved a basset in your family, you'll never
be without one (or three.) Did I get it right?

So will we take the leap? As of now, leaning against. It's just not
that great a fit for us. Not ruling it out completely, but we're going
to keep looking.

Thanks so much. Aroooo!
Jerry