[Dailydrool] Basset Playfulness

Annette Mucci canine.inspirations at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 13:19:45 PST 2010

Sophie does not fetch, but she will play tug and will chase after a special rubber ball in our house.  She is more of a cuddler and is starting to wrestle more.  I think she is still coming into her own.  It has been fun watching her grow and I think she has learned her tug skills from Cassie. They play tug and then wrestle almost every night.

Schroeder on the other hand, well, he plays fetch when HE wants to and it is really cute when he wants to play.  He only plays fetch with his stuffie hearts that I bought last year after V-day for a buck at Walmart.  I then sewed sqeekers into them.  When he is in a good mood, he will bring them to me and we play.

He will also play catch with soft rubber balls, but forget the game of catch and return.  Not hardly.  I catch it mommie but you have to keep coming over to me to get it out of my mouth...

He also likes to be physically chased by the dadslave around the house.  I somehow do not stomp my feet right in the chase so he doesn't do it as much with me.  Such a particular little bugger.

After raising my boxers, I am actually glad the bassets do not have the same level of activity as the boxers do.  I would never be able to have 4 dogs if they did, so I am perfectly content with the games Sophie and Schroeder want to play.  I have a nice balance of activity levels with all four of them now.