[Dailydrool] Freckles

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Fri Feb 5 17:25:04 PST 2010

We have a Basset named Freckles, some of you might remember he had eye surgery last May. He started acting very strange today and we need some advice. Freckles started acting like he did not know where he was he has a dazed look in his eyes, I was out shoveling snow and when I came inside he had that look in his eyes and he was walking in circles seemingly uncontrollably to the right. I tried to get him to go into the bedroom and he kept bumping his head on the wall going in circles. I finally guided him into the bedroom and gave him a baby aspirin in case he was having a stroke. I tried to look him over to make sure he had not been bitten by one of the other dogs and as I was examining him he yelped like he was in pain all over. I tried to give him a pain pill but his teeth were clenched together. I finally got him to eat a few bites after the aspirin got to working and snuck a pain pill in a little tasty morsel. He is acting a little better but still is turning to the right in a circle instead of walking in a straight line. Has anyone had a dog do this before?I have seen a dog have a seizure before and this does not look the same as I have seen in the past but is it possible he is having a seizure? I am at a loss of what to do. I am stranded in the snow today. our truck broke down so my husband is using my car to go to work he will be at work till late tonight. I am going to be waiting at the vets in the morning when they open with Freckles but possibly wondered if anyone else had an experience like this. Freckles is twelve. He is such a docile Basset. so sweet and almost blind he has such bad corneal edema I sure hope we do not lose him it will break my heart.

Chris Bly   wmbri.org