[Dailydrool] I wish everyone researched bassets...

Kate bassetlover99 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 08:05:02 PST 2010

...before adding one to the family. (Kudos to the gentleman from SF who
recognized that a basset might not fit his family.)

The boys and I ventured across town to Unleashed yesterday. We visit the
indoor dog park about once or twice a month. We met up with some friends--a
Great Dane, a Chihuahua, a Golden, a Belgian Malinois, and two Beagle mix
sisters. The boys had a blast as always.

Towards the end of our stay, we saw a young couple come in with a Dachshund
and a Basset Hound puppy. Cute, cute little tri-colored girl. I noticed the
man pointing out Baxter playing nearby. So I went over and asked about the
puppy and told them that Baxter was mine, that he and Boomer were rescues,
and that they were great dogs. His girlfriend said, "So it gets better?" Uh
oh.

I got the sense that she's not real crazy about the puppy, that she wanted
it to behave and learn just like her Dachshund did. I told her that my boys
required a lot of patience and consistency and that they're just now
starting to "get it" at 18ish months old. I never really got from her
exactly what the problem was. I think there's some separation anxiety. I saw
the puppy rolling around, exposing her belly to every dog she encountered.
She seemed pretty happy. I suggested obedience training, but the guy kind of
brushed that off. So I wished them luck and went back to my friends (it's
not just a place for dogs, after all).

As the boys and I were leaving, I stopped and scratched the puppy belly and
noticed that she had been spayed recently (yay!). At least there's no worry
of "dachsbassets" or whatever designer breed that would result.

--
Peace and drool,
Kate

http://baxterandboomer.shutterfly.com/