[Dailydrool] I wish everyone researched bassets...

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 09:14:38 PST 2010

Kate wrote:

> ...before adding one to the family. (Kudos to the gentleman from SF
> who recognized that a basset might not fit his family.)

I'll add to that thought.
I wish everyone who wants to buy a dog of *any* kind would research the
breeds.  Years ago, when my sons were youngsters, we'd stop by the
Humane Society every couple of months and look at all the dogs.  We
weren't in the market for a dog as we already had one at home (depending
on the year, it would have been either a full Basset or a Basset mix).
My boys just loved seeing other dogs and puppies.
It was heartbreaking to walk down past the indoor kennels for the adult
dogs and read the cards on the gates.  Most common excuses for getting
rid of those dogs??  'Moving' and 'We didn't realize it would get so
big'  (This last one was the overwhelming reason for dumping Lab mixes
and German Shepherd mixes.  Duh!!)
Frankly, I sometimes feel that people should have to pass a very
comprehensive exam in order to be allowed to get married, have a child,
or adopt a pet.

Kathie G