[Dailydrool] I wish everyone researched bassets

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 09:54:38 PST 2010

I've gotten to the point where, when people tell me they're
interested in getting a dog of a particular breed, I urge them to
contact a rescue group and ask questions about that breed before they
make a decision. Often these people will tell me they've checked the
AKC web site or some other online sources that cover different
breeds, but I remind them that those sites usually list only the good
things about a breed. They generally don't let you know what health
or behavior problems to expect, and those are things you don't want
to be surprised by after you've gotten that breed. Rescue groups, on
the other hand, really don't want to send their dogs to the wrong
homes, so they'll give you the full scoop on what it's like to live
with a basset or a boxer or a Boston terrier before you make a
commitment to one.

On an entirely different note, our Elsinore thanks everyone for the
good wishes. Her ear infection seems to be responding to the meds,
and her ear looks less red and swollen now.

Elizabeth