[Dailydrool] Looking for a REALLY long leash

Robin Wherley robindw at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 22:36:36 PST 2010

I've seen a couple posts wanting long leashes. I have some words of warning, especially if your dog is strong.

If you are holding the leash and the doggie takes off at full speed, when he gets to the end of the 30/40/50 feet, there are a couple of possible outcomes. You might end up flying a foot in the air, landing on your stomach or back, then be dragged on the ground for a bit before you finally realize that your hand is valuable and let go. Thus negating the usefulness of the leash.

OR.... The dog hits his stride and you manage to have a great grip, but upon reaching the end of the line, the dog's collar breaks, dog takes off. Thus negating the usefulness of the leash.

Also, even if the dog is not powerful enough to cause these traumatic
events, he may hurt himself when he gets to the end of the rope if he
is running. Imagine running at top speed and being yanked suddenly back
by the neck. Ouch. He was ok, but could have seriously injured his neck and back.

All of these things happened to me with Marquis. WHY I didn't learn after the FIRST incident, I cannot explain. Sigh....

p.s. Dis bee Fwankie. Meez vewy pleezed dat me haz a fenced in yard. Marquis wuz not az luckee az mee wen hee wuz a babee! Leashez? Puleeze!

Robin

and Marquis (the lab), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080960

and Roley (the mutt), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080964

and Franklin (the basset), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080965