[Dailydrool] Snow Loving Iris

mary biddle maresidoats at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:35:59 PST 2010

Hi all--This is my first submission to the DD, but have enjoyed all
the tails [good and sad].  .   of all your bassets and furry friends.
 A basset with the name of Iris was listed by BROOD for adoption and
was waiting for me.  I never adopted a dog before, but had dogs all
my life--very large dogs, and cats, and horses, and numerous beasts
that wandered in and out of our lives.

Along comes Iris; the most incredible, stubborn, funny animal I/we
have ever known.  Not only is she gorgeous, she's a thief with brains
and the most incredible sense of humor given an animal.

Living in Chester; Co., PA we had foxhounds, beagles and coonhounds
who  wandered from packs find their way, but were always reclaimed.  A
good thing.  Then along comes Iris; she inserts
herself into this house of 3 cats [one a 5 day old foundling] who is
her best pal, and literally takes over.  We knew she was cool and was
going to stay when she tried to use the litter box the first nite!

You see, she is the most incredible loving friend I have ever had.
I didn't mean to go on about our friend, and until this winter she
always had to be bribed to go out at nite as she doesn't appreciate
getting the "tee-taa's from her tummy curtain frozen or wet!  We have
experienced 30+ inches of snow this last week and Iris like a
bulldozer.  We have shoveled a path and maze for her in the snow in
the front yard and when she wants to, just puffs out that basset chest
and blows through the drifts--the cats love it and follow her
everywhere in the snow.  I've even had to bribe her to come in the
house.  I tried a sweater, but she will have none of it.  She loves
going al-naturale!

I have enjoyed all the stories and wonderful names and look forward
to the continued advise and stories about them all,  I cry when
reading one that has gone to the bridge.  I think everytime I look
into
those sad, droopy eyes with slobber on my pants -- you see genuine
love and gratitude and mischief!

best to all,
Mary and Iris Biddle