[Dailydrool] MacKenzie update

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 08:48:30 PST 2010

MacKenzie went to sleep after her dinner last night and slept for over 12 hours.  She has never slept that long and we both kept waking up to check on her.  When she finally woke up, she was "herself" and ready to go.  She playfully joined the morning walk, chased a herd of deer (dragging dadperson along), wrestled with her buddies and was hunting for food all morning - after she ate her breakfast.  I called the Vet anyway and they agreed that she needed to come in.  Because she kept dinner and breakfast down, the Vet suspects she may have picked up a virus, but we're to watch her.  If she vomits again, it's off for xrays.  She's on some anti-nauseau meds and something to help stop the diarrhea.  The vet was very concerned about her weight.   She's up to over 67 lbs, up 5 lbs since the vet last saw her.  We cut back on her food several months ago.  Her ideal weight is between 45 and 50 lbs.  So they did some blood work to see if she's got something going on with her thyroid.  This girl walks nearly 3 miles a day, plays very hard, and eats exactly what the other 2 eat - and they haven't put any weight on. She's very young (will be 2 years old in 9 days) so we really have to get her weight back down.
Thanks for everyone that told us to take her to the Vet.  Without your advice, I never would have convinced my husband that she needed to be seen - since she was so "normal" this morning.
We're due for snow tonight.  We live in the southern part of coastal North Carolina - so this is a very rare event.  Of course MacKenzie and Gallagher loved the snow when we lived in CT - so tomorrow morning may be a true test!

Julie - slave to MacKenzie, Gallagher and Miss Poppy.