[Dailydrool] Daphneyland, $94k and the hounds needs

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 10:00:23 PST 2010

Hi Chris et al -

We have been so blessed to be able to raise those funds over the course of
3 months, the sad part is our annual budget for the rescue of 300 bassets
is  actually $150k annually.  So we're not there yet.  The tracking we are
doing on the firstgiving page is all income - grants, donations, adoption
fees  etc - this was not a sudden windfall, and at $95k - we don't have a year
budget  in the bank.
Rescues everywhere are struggling like mad - we are no exception.
Averaging 50 senior hounds plus special needs daily in our rotating
population of 100 absolutely adds up!  Thankfully the awareness is out  there and
adoptions are on the rise.

This morning we open to 90 hounds plus a few special needs - this morning
we also have 4 emergency shelter alerts for an additional intake of 4
needing  out of local shelters.  Sad to say we are constantly full.

During the AP article run, several people emailed asking why we did not
DECREASE our numbers - Tough thing to do when if we have a bed, food, and
sponsorship - how can we commit a life to death during this economy simply
because someone feels maybe we should limit our numbers - yet those someone's
have not been here and have no knowledge as to how daily operations go?

If a miracle happens and we adopt out 30 hounds this weekend, believe me,
We'll be posting to help ease the burden on our additional 6 basset rescues
here  in California., Golden Gate just had the 61 intake in one day outside
normal  intakes.

Thank you to everyone! All basset rescues are suffering at this moment in
time, please get involved - donate, volunteer, foster, ADOPT!  The solution
rests with you!!
Dawn

_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!