[Dailydrool] Nail biting, Bob's wheels

Robin Wherley robindw at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 20:48:49 PST 2010

Roley (our mutt) bites her own nails down. We have only ever had them clipped one time - she always keeps them short on her own terms. :) Marquis (the lab) once snagged a nail on something and most of his nail was ripped off - that was terrible. He limped for days and sucked his finger. I worried it would become infected, but I guess his constant licking kept it cleaner than I ever could.

Regarding proper nail trimming - We recently bought nail trimmers called "Quickfinder" and they are a wonder! Quickfinder clippers have a sensor that tells you where the quick ends and flashes a red, yellow, or green light depending on where the sensor detects blood flow in the nail. When I clipped Marquis' nails myself, I cut him badly and he never trusted me again. He would let ANYONE else do it, just not me. These are great!

Frankie (the basset) has REALLY long nails, mainly because he will NOT tolerate them being cut. He lets you touch his paws and toes, but as soon as clippers come out, he squirms like jello, then whips his nose around so that his nostrils almost get widened by an inopportune snip. Then he growls and grunts and squirms some more. Impossible!! However, I resolved to give him a manicure when I realized one of his nails is actually almost curled under to his paw pad. Hubby holds Frankie down, and I do a nail. Usually the same nail twice. Then we stop until the next night. Some nails take two nights to complete. At this rate, Frankie is doomed to long nails. I saved all of the posts from others with advice on trimming, but we cannot get him to cooperate.

Bob's wheels are wonderful! As you know, Marquis is also unable to get up on his hind legs. We've considered wheels, too, but since Marquis lost his sight, I cannot even IMAGINE the crashes and squashed basset tails that would result from him riding around! I am so happy for Bob - he looks so happy!! Congratulations!

Robin (this is long enough without letting Frankie use the keyboard tonight!!)

and Marquis (the lab), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080960

and Roley (the mutt), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080964

and Franklin (the basset), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080965

and Chris, the dear husband :)