[Dailydrool] Gallagher's mysterious friend

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 16:57:02 PST 2010

Tides permitting, we walk the 3 Bassets on the beach each night.  When the sun is at just the right angle, our shadows go across the reeds and trees along the way.  When Gallagher see's his "buddy", his tail goes crazy and he races his mystery friend to the beach.  Today, on the way back, his "buddy" was on the other side of him.  Rather than race, he decided he wanted to play.  Down on the front paws, barking, whining, jumping up and twirling... all to no avail.  His friend just didn't want to play.  We had a hard time getting him home.
It has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Then he topped it.  My husband placed a door mirror in the front hall.  Gallagher did a flat basset in front of the mirror and barked, then whined when his friend wouldn't play.
Does anyone out there have a basset that is so fixated on his own reflection and shadow??  Should I start wearing a wig and sunglasses when we're out with him?