[Dailydrool] UTIs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 09:02:25 PST 2010

Virtually all my Bassets, male and female, have had UTIs. I always check for
sediment because Bassets are also very prone to bladder stones, which can
cause contant infection and the appearance of continual UTI's. Sometimes an
ultrasound can quickly diagnose stones. I, too, have cultures done when an
infection returns quickly. I believe Bassets, with all their extra skin and
their "low-rider" status are more apt to pick up bacteria during urination
that other breeds, and that includes the males.
If you culture the infection and find that it is not responding to to the
recommended anti-biotics I would certainly consider surgery. Your dog is
very young to spend her life battling infection and taking anti-biotics.
Just my opinion. Its what I would do if it were one of mine.

MomPerson to Nigel (2 UTIs this winter) Llewis (1) Conley (0 so far) and
Cooper (I have legs.)