[Dailydrool] UTIs

Celine Rupka rupkac at start.ca
Fri Feb 19 19:43:52 PST 2010

Hi Maureen!

Mathilda and I have had a great deal of experience with back-to-back
urinary tract infections.  She started at about one year of age, would
get a UTI, dose of antibiotics, be all better and then a couple of
months later, would get another UTI.  She is quite a "low" basset with
lots of saggy skin at the back (we call her baggypants when she walks
away from us.)  Anyway, after four UTIs in less then 8 months, I
started asking the vet for options.  She felt that it was because
Mathilda is so low to the ground and has the excess skin, that when
she squats to pee, especially in the snow, the flow of urine doesn't
actually clear "that area."  This allows the bacteria to grow and it
is a relatively short trip up the ureter and ta-dah... UTI.

Solution... baby wipes.  The vet recommended getting Pampers baby
wipes (sensitive skin of course for sensitive bassets!) and now
whenever Mathilda comes in from a bathroom break, I wipe her with a
baby wipe.  I also have a different shampoo from the vet which I use
exclusively on her nether-regions when she has a bath.  But, the baby
wipes (knock wood) have done the trick.  She has not had a UTI in
about 7 months, which is the longest she has ever gone without an
infection.

So... you may want to give it a try and see if it works for Chloe
(much preferable to a butt lift!)

Celine and Mathilda