[Dailydrool] Frontline

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 14:37:29 PST 2010

I know I'm super behind from being at the Western Veterinary Conference last week but just wanted to make note of something.

Concerning the post below - This is actually a violation of the FDA, and AHAA so there may be some veterinarians who do this but I would not do this as a vet.  Although it is over the counter by telling your clients to do this you are putting yourself in a major legal issue that could put your licence at risk.  I wouldn't expect your vet to okay this.  I hate to be the veterinary-legal voice of reason, just don't want you guys to be surprised if your vet won't do this.  It's not because they want you to spend more money.  If something was to happen to your dog because of this they would feel horrible (licence as risk aside).

Sounds like the Costco is the best deal to go with.  Although I'm not pleased with the internet pharmacies (some are good some sell expired products) I would rather people actually put Frontline on their dogs then say they don't because it's too expensive. Another cheaper and similar option is getting Frontline spray with is based on weight.

"My vet taught me a great way to save on Frontline or Advantage.   Buy the
biggest vial & split the dose by weight.  You need a syringe to accurately
measure & to store the leftovers.  Blunt the needle to avoid any accidents; it's your applicator. Just squirt on from the syringe instead of pouring on from the tube.

One 89+ tube of Frontline will do two 50 pound dogs, or at my house, one 52 pound basset, a couple of 20 pound-ish spaniels, & the c*t.    Don't try it with BioSpot or grocery store stuff, but with Frontline & Advantage, the dog stuff is okay for cats.  We've done this for years.

If your vet is a good sport, you can get a weight dosage breakdown & syringe from them.   For a better explanation & less specific dose chart, this cat rescue site has the info.

http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html"

Laura
Flash and Ryu