[Dailydrool] Tender tummy food

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 18:45:10 PST 2010

I have found that the pricier foods with all the blueberry additives and salmon, etc., often are difficult for my dogs to digest and have seen bouts of colitis in the past when I tried them thinking they were so much better.

So with that said, most of mine stay on Costco Lamb and Rice.  A good, plain food and very inexpensive.

Mine have always done well on simple Lamb and Rice, or Chicken and Rice.

My trick to preventing colitis in my group is to keep them eating something, anything, when they go off the food for any reason, and also, don't switch the diet once you get them on something they are good with.  Switching diet has always been when I have seen the derned colitis.

If they stop eating, for any reason, then I give them dog biscuits or something similar until the next meal.  Something to keep their stomach from being empty, but something fairly plain like a biscuit.  Then they eat the next meal and we are ok.

I add cooked chicken or ground beef sauteed in a little olive oil and warm water along with veggies like green beans, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc., to their food, like two big spoonfuls, and I supplement with Showdown sprinkled on and Fish Oil that I pill.

When they have had the colitis I put them on Pepsid AC, Fish Flagyl (love that fish flagyl) and feed boiled chicken with rice until they stabilize.  I have also used Nutro Chicken and Rice for Sensitive Stomachs in the past, which was a good segue back to their normal food.

One of my co-lovers of Lizzie gives Arnica and feels that has helped her stomach.  Another feeds California Naturals, but if one of my others gets that, bam, colitis and I am talking colitis with diarreah.  Not fun for anyone.

Best*

Sara