[Dailydrool] Aggression Situation

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Feb 25 10:07:05 PST 2010

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds is overloaded with hounds, as are many of the rescues. Last week, we
took in a basset from a shelter who has been agressive a couple times and is very unpredictable. We know
he was supposedly a back yard dog, is not house trained or crate trained. A non-English speaking family
dropped him off and the shelter got that much out of them and that they were moving and couldn't take him.

He is at our foster coordinator's house, who has about 20 dogs. He gets along with the other dogs, and was fine at feeding time. However, when the resident people tried to have dinner, he went kind of nuts and tried to bite them. That was the first night. He did seem to calm down some over the next couple days. Yesterday I went over to do his vacs (we are doing our own bordatella and DLHPP vacs to try and save money). He greeted me, was fine, did counter cruise the meds a bit--. We did muzzle him just as a precaution, but right after I squirted the bordatella up his nose, I pulled the muzzle off and he was not aggressive at all.
Fast forward to this AM. Man of the house is taking out the garage and hound attacks and bites him. Friend is there to clean and she is now scared of him. We don't really have another home to place him in, and someone suggested sedating him to be safe until we can get ahold of a trainer to evaluate/work with him. Aside from Rescue Remedy and Benedryl, any suggestions?  He is not used to being crated and will have to be 24/7 if we can't think of anything else.

Marilyn Briggs