[Dailydrool] Aggression situation

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 09:36:50 PST 2010

I know it comes with a hefty pricetag, but you may find that a behaviorist
will be able to help more than a trainer. A real behaviorist will be able to
prescribe medication, if it's necessary and will also design a training
program. You may need to combine the two to have an effective result.

The most useful thing I have found is ability to observe a dog and figure
out just what the triggers are. This can take a long time--our Abner has
been aggressive for a few years, and recently I figured out that his problem
is that he fears my hands, probably because of the care I had to give him
following his surgery and his chronic and painful skin-fold dermatitis.

I hope all works out well with this hound, but it will take time and
attention. Given those, a happy result may occur. I sure hope so.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets