[Dailydrool] pancreatitits

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Wed Jan 6 13:04:26 PST 2010

To read that they have both been in great pain from the  pancreatitis
attacks is our fault because of the way we feed them was  very disturbing.  I
have always enjoyed reading the Daily Drool and  occasionally posting with
questions or information, but this has not been a good  time for me to be
reading the posts.  I am taking a break for a few issues  hoping that this topic
will die down and then I can get back to reading the  posts that I enjoy.

Carol

Carol, don't take offense.  People mean well but no one should ever use "never" or "always" when it
comes to anything regarding our dogs.

I feed a mixture of raw and kibble; I also feed raw veggies and fruit and people food leftovers on occasion.  Even a little
bacon and eggs on Sunday.  What I don't feed is chicken or turkey skin, or chicken/beef/port fat.  I also don't feed foods made with Corn, Wheat or Soy.

Very very rarely do any of my dogs have stomach issues,  Ole Maggie is the worse but since giving up kibble with Corn she has been much much better.  And so far in my life I have never had a dog with Pancreas or Liver issues.  Not even the dog I had growing up who lived to a ripe old age eating nothing but people leftovers.

I think sometimes, no matter what we do (or don't do) our dogs will get sick,  just like people.   Some have better genetics behind them and/or better immune systems, just like people.  Some are exposed to environmental stressors that affect or weaken organ systems.    We all do the best we can.

I  sent a show dog to Sao Paulo,   in Brazil.   He was vaccinated as a puppy and boosted on schedule.  He died of Distemper despite doing everything "right".   I have another show dog in Manila, the Philippines who is just fine.   Same breeding,  littermates.     What went wrong??   What went right??

Love your dogs,  Do your best by them,   But sometimes,  things just happen for which we will never find the answers.

Cathy

 Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com