[Dailydrool] blindness

Dede Lichtig shrewsburyzoo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:24:10 PST 2010

This question regarding the Basset that "came home" blind has been bothering
me for days.  I spoke with my veterinarian (daughter) and ophthalmologist
(husband) and they are stumped also.
A few possibilities:
1. The dog suffered a tremendous blow to the head *without* causing marked
exterior trauma and this tore some retinal vessels inside the eye.  This
caused bleeding into the vitreous (the liquid inside the eye) and clouded
her visual acuity.  If the bleeding has stopped, the blood with ultimately
settle in the bottom part of the eye, not compromise the retina, and be
reabsorbed with return of visual acuity.
2.  The dog has undiagnosed glaucoma which shot the pressure in the eyes sky
high and blew out her optic discs.
3.  The dog has diabetes (unlikely in such a young dog) and again, the
pressure in the eyes shot up and caused the vessels to bleed as well as
cupping of the discs of optic nerve.
4.  The dog developed cataracts or was born with congenital cataracts.  This
is not something that happens overnight, though and was the least likely
scenario.
In any case, a trip to a veterinary ophthalmologist could probably give you
the cause and treatment.  There is a high tech machine that can remove the
vitreous and replace it with a fluid that approximates vitreous.  That would
work if the bleeding was a one time situation and there was no evidence of
possible future bleeds.  If the optic nerve/discs are pale, there is nothing
that can be done.  Glaucoma can be treated successfully with the daily use
of drops and cataracts can be removed.  The success depends on the condition
of the retina (and the skill of the surgeon.)  This machine (made by
EndoOptiks) is available at a number of vet school hospitals.  If you'd
like, I can find the closest one for you.
--
Delores, Queen of the Zoo