[Dailydrool] Happy New YEars

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Fri Jan 1 23:37:28 PST 2010

Happy New Years to all of you hound folks out there. My resolution is to try to do more for local rescues and to help out with pet awareness.

A couple of quickie stories:

I teach High School Science.  Myself and another teacher do a yearly animal shelter food drive.  Kids bring in dog and catfood, and we bring it to the shelter.  Our school of roughly 500 students brought in over 1400 lbs of food for that shelter.  My Zoology class (ironic eh?) brought in nearly 450 lbs of that total.  I transported the food to the shelter, and the shelter manager was nearly in tears, saying that this was the largest donation that they have ever received.  It would feed their animals for 3 months or so.  The manager also knew that I was active in basset rescue, since I had rescued a hound and took it to LBHR in the past.  She asked me if I knew of any bloodhound rescues.

Which brings me to story 2.  A man in our local area (who has some attachment to the police department). Had a beautiful young bloodhound named Samson.  This gentleman was going into the hospital, and was likely not coming back out.  Even if he did, he would not be able to take care of a dog, and his family was unwilling to help out.  The dog was brought to the shelter when I said I could help.  I spoke with SouthEast Blood Hound Rescue Association, and the Local area manager agreed to take him.  I transported him halfway, and made the drop.  He was an awful pleasant dog....huge...and very beautiful.  Almost decided to keep the boy myself.  He is now adjusting to his new foster mama while they look for a forever home for him.

So, to make a long story short.....do whatever you can to help out.  We cant all have 10 hounds(as much as I would like to).  Make some small donations to rescues, help with food drives, offer to transport in your area, volunteer at shelters or rescues, help raise awareness of spaying and neutering.  It will make you feel good, and if we can all do it.....We can change the world.  Heck, even helping out with sagely advice on the Drool helps....it definitely has me.  I lost my first hound in August, and I dont think I couldve survived it without the Drool.  So, if everyone could vow to do just a little more...we can make a difference.

Happy New Years from the Bassets on the Bay!

Tom, Slave to Harley, Annabelle, and Calypso (ATB)