[Dailydrool] Ketamine recall

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 21:12:54 PST 2010

I thought I would send this recall out just in case any basset kidz are going to have surgery.  I will definitely ask the vet when Isabelle and Sophee go in on the 19th and 20th for their surgeries and dentals.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang

Massive veterinary drug recall getting bigger

Ketamine hydrochloride injection is an anesthetic agent for diagnostic and surgical procedures.

Ketamine hydrochloride made by TEVA Animal Health was voluntarily recalled on 12/22/09, but that recall was suddenly expanded on 12/31/09 after it was discovered that 7 other companies were selling Ketamine Hydrochloride manufactured by TEVA under their own labels.

Due to the long holiday weekend your Vet may not know about the sudden expansion of the recall. If your pet is undergoing surgery next week, you should ask what drugs will be used to sedate your pet. If your Vet is using Ketamine hydrochloride you should probably refer to this recall. Below I have included links to the articles that explain the different phases of this product recall.

------------
During the summer the FDA sued TEVA Animal health, the largest manufacturer of generic animad drugs after agency inspections found adulterated animal drugs. Details here: FDA goes after largest manufacturer of generic animal drugs

On 12/22/09 the FDA issued this Press Release Teva Animal Health, Inc. expands a voluntary nationwide recall of Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP CIII 100mg/mL in 10mL vials.

Details were sketchy, but the VIN News Service gives a lot of background information in their article Expanded ketamine recall leaves veterinarians with unanswered questions

On 12/31/09, the VIN News reported that Teva manufactured Ketamine for other companies in their article Seven labels tied to Teva ketamine recall, FDA says

Quote:
      the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) confirms that the labels include:
      * AmTech Group Inc. Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP, manufactured by IVX Animal Health Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
      * Butler KetaThesia, distributed exclusively by Butler Animal Health Supply, Dublin, Ohio
      * Fort Dodge Ketaset, manufactured for Fort Dodge Animal Health, Fort Dodge, Iowa
      * VEDCO KetaVed, distributed by Vedco Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
      * Phoenix Ketaject, manufactured for Phoenix Pharmaceutical Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.
      * LLOYD Laboratories VetaKet, manufactured for Lloyd Laboratories in Shenandoah, Iowa
      * RXV Keta-Sthetic, manufactured for RXVeterinary Products, Westlake, Texas