[Dailydrool] Purdue follow up

Susan Stoker sue117 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:22:27 PST 2010

I did actually talk to Dr. Childress at Purdue. He is the Doctor in
charge of oncology at the Purdue Small Animal Clinic. He was very
apologetic and seemed embarrassed about the entire situation. He
explained how the "mistake" was made in giving Rosie the wrong Chemo
drug (even though it was one of the 3 that she was rotating with each
week). Although he did say that it shouldn't have happened.

I told him that i knew a lot of people who were very happy with Purdue
and that I didn't think that they were a terrible place after my
experiences. He also said that he did use my experience as a "teaching"
experience for rounds one day and encouraged his residents and students
to take the time to talk to every owner no matter how busy they were.

He asked me if I would consider going back if he took over Rosie's
care, and I thanked him and told him no thanks, that I would go to my
local vet who knew me, knew my name, knew my dog's name, that I felt
more comfortable with. He said that he understood. I said that when
Rosie's cancer does come back that I might consider going  back to
Purdue if he would be the doctor in charge of her treatment.

I did also emphasize that hopefully they spend time with each owner, no
matter how their pet is doing. Since Rosie was doing "well", I didn't
hear much more than "she looks good" each time I picked her up. I fully
recognize that I should have been more forceful about demanding more
information, but I also feel like I shouldn't have to be that way.

So the outcome was ok, I think that we both hung up the phone "okay".
He wasn't rude to me at all. So Rosie has her 10th (which should be the
9th!) treatment on Friday with our local vet. Hopefully she will
continue to do well and the cancer will stay away long after her
treatments are over.

Thanks all for the comments. I didn't mean to "bash" Purdue or any
other teaching hospital. Vets work SOOO hard, especially residents and
the students. I know that there are a lot of great experiences
there...I was just very frustrated when I sent in my last note about
Rosie (although I still do feel the same way now! lol).

Thanks all for the notes and I'll keep you all posted on how Rosie is doing!

Susan Stoker and the Tank Hounds